Giovanni Bononcini (Modena, 1670 – Vienna, 1747)
was one of the most well known musicians of his time. He was in competition with Haendel in London, and was guest of the European courts, influencing the musical taste.
As well as many musicians of his time, Bononcini has been mostly forgotten, because musical sources are scattered: Bononcini’s music (spread all over the Europe) is unpublished, apart from some exceptions, and we have not an updated catalogue of his production.
The difficulty to find musical sources explain why there is no published music, and of course, the rare performances and recording.
Fondazione Arcadia has started a project with the aim to recover and reveal some of Giovanni Bononcini’s output.
- Web site Dedicated website, containing t catalogue of works, illustrations, bibliography and discography and other resources www.bononcini.org
Pubblicazione delle seguenti edizioni:
- “La Conversione di Maddalena“oratorio for soloists and orchestra, critical edition by Raffaele Mellace
- “Cantate a Clori” critical edition by cura di Sara Dieci
- “Cantate con strumenti” vol. I -(Biblioteca del Monumento Nazionale di Montecassino, ms. 1-C-9/2) , edited by di Michele Vannelli
LIM Publisher, Lucca,
Fondazione Arcadia Series – Musiche del Settecento,
edited by Foundation Arcadia’s scientific board
- Cataloging Complete Catalogue (searchable database) on the website www.bononcini.org. cataloguing by Luca Rossetto Casel, Sara Dieci, Alessandra Rossi Lürig.
- Performance Concerts of chosen works with Accademia d’Arcadia (September 2008: Festival MITO, Oratorio “La conversione di Maddalena”; October 2008 Arcadia in musica, Unpublished cantatas; September 2010 Festival MITO, serenata “Amore non vuol diffidenza”).
The project has been achieved in cooperation with:
Progetto nazionale di catalogazione della cantata italiana
(Università di Roma Tor Vergata, Clori)
Ministero per i Beni e le attività culturali – Beni librari
Istituto Italiano per la Storia della Musica
Società Italiana di Musicologia
Musicological Staff :
Luca Rossetto Casel
Alessandra Rossi Lürig
pdf press release, Milan, 25 october 2011, 11.00 A.M, Teatro Litta.
pdf Fonti Musicali Italiane, press release n. 16, 2011
The Bononcini Project has been realized with the contribution of Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Modena.